. . .
Friends & Family | Amusement
| Geology | Hiking
| History | Alternative Energy
For websites that I find amusing.
Friends & Family:
Stuff to do while you pretend
to surf the 'Net for "research" on that paper that's due
- Bad Geology
- what you think you know is probably wrong
Nature / Hiking / Backpacking:
BackpackGearTest - A forum for posting impressions and evaluations
of backpacking gear provided free by manufacturers. I've been
a tester since 2001.
- The official website of BackpackGearTest. I helped create the
design of the site.
World Heritage List - 754 places (582 cultural, 149 natural
and 23 mixed properties in 129 States Parties) of natural beauty,
cultural importance, and historic significance. It's a great place
to go visit when you need a break!
History / Archaeology:
- The Diary
of Samuel Pepys - Samuel Pepys (pronounced "peeps"
- don't ask why) lived in London circa 1660. This is a fascinating
glimpse into yesteryear via a relatively normal upper-middle class
- The Doomsday Book
- commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who
invaded England in 1066 and wanted to know more about the people
and land he conquered, so he would know how much he could tax
them. If you lived in England in 1085, you, your family, land,
etc., were recorded in this book. Supposedly I have ancestors
Regional History Center: Los Angeles: Past, Present, Future
- Carbon Footprint Calculators (they are not all the same!)
your carbon footprint- Mine was 5.25 as of May 2007 (national
average = 7.5 tons / year)
- Another carbon footprint calculator from the EPA
- this site calculated mine as 33,279 pound/year or 15 tons/year
- And one more from SafeClimate
- this site calculated mine as 2399 lbs./month / 28788 lbs/year
or 14 tons/year [metric]!